14 April 2012 – Absolute Boyfriend Press Conference and Romantic Cruise
In town over the last weekend for the promotional activities of Taiwanese drama Absolute Boyfriend, Jiro Wang and Goo Hye Sun held a media conference to share their views on working with one another in the drama. Absolute Boyfriend, otherwise known as 绝对达令 in Mandarin, is a Taiwanese adaptation of a Japanese manga ‘Zettai Kareshi’ by Watase Yuu and has just started its worldwide premiere on Channel U since 8th April.
Many of you must be curious as to how the male and female lead are able to communicate with each other during filming of the show due to language barrier. When asked to relate their experience, Jiro expressed that it was their first time working together and undeniably, they did lack some form of chemistry in the beginning. However as the filming progress, both of them managed to grow closer and are able to guess what the other party is trying to convey through eye contacts and body gestures.
Here are some of the highlights during the media conference organized by Channel U:
- Jiro thinks that Hye Sun has a good appetite despite her petite figure. Hye Sun even lists out her personal favorites (for Taiwanese food) such as bubble tea, xiao long bao and smelly tofu.
- In previous interviews, ‘smelly tofu’ was being used by Hye Sun to describe co-stars Jiro and Kun Da, not because they were literally ‘smelly’ but in a sense that ‘smelly tofu’ was among her favorites. She feels that she can relate a person better when she describes him/her with the food she likes. (In response to Hye Sun’s reply, Jiro cheekily added that he’s honored with this nickname!)
- On his role as a robot in the drama, Jiro feels that it was very challenging because he has no prior experience in acting as a robot whose reactions are somewhat different from how a human will react in normal circumstances or situations. He added that he had done a lot of homework on his part by studying similar characters in movies as well as learning from his teacher to better deliver the role.
- As his role in the drama requires him to keep fit, Jiro also mentions that he is envious of Hye Sun who is able to drink bubble tea as and when she likes, because he loves bubble tea but couldn’t drink as much due to the high intake of sugar level in the beverage which he has to watch out for in his restricted diet.
- Ideal types for one another? Jiro says that his ideal partner is someone who is able to cook well, while on the other hand, Hye Sun prefers someone who is kind, respectful and has a good personality.
- Did Jiro pick up a few Korean phrases/words during filming? Besides ‘Mianhae’ and ‘Kwenchanayo’ (which means ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘It’s alright’ respectively), he mentions about the casts attending lessons on body language to observe and better understand one another.
- In order to maintain his fitness level, Jiro would hit the gym as often as daily and sometimes he would bring along his dumb-bells to the filming set as well.
- As her role in the drama is one who has never fallen in love before, Hye Sun added that she would often look for the director and scriptwriter to discuss the character in preparation for the filming.
On the very evening after the media conference has come to an end, a handful of lucky fans scored the chance to go on an exclusive romantic cruise trip with both Jiro and Hye Sun, where they had the opportunity to get up-close to the casts and interact with them through a mini Q&A session and games.
Jiro and Hye Sun also shared a few toasts on-board the cruise before moving around to explore the area and enjoy the cooling sea breeze. It was unfortunate that the tides were pretty strong that evening due to the heavy rain before the cruise, as the whole crew including the fans had to return onshore earlier. However, we bet the fans had a memorable experience despite the cancellation of a group photo-taking session on the cruise as they were afterwards arranged to take photos with the casts in pairs after the cruise. It was indeed a blessing in disguise!
The following day, Jiro and Hye Sun held their fan meet & greet session at Square 2 which saw hundreds of fans flocking to the mall to catch a glimpse of their favorite stars up-close. In addition to a mini Q&A session and contest on stage, Jiro and Hye Sun also autographed on the spot for the first 120 fans which concluded the meet & greet that afternoon, leaving fans cheering for more.
Special thanks to Channel U for extending the invitation to Absolute Boyfriend press conference, romantic cruise as well as fan meet & greet session. Be sure to catch Absolute Boyfriend on Channel U every Sunday at 9.30pm!
Do check out more exclusive photos taken during Absolute Boyfriend Singapore promotions via the below links: (Please do not remove or edit the watermark on the images. Thank you!)
Where music, cultures and fans connect